Saturday, March 1, 2014

Braid Spray

So as you all know I am rocking braids right now. I am no stranger to the braids and growth. Please understand I am an 80's teen. I have had my hair in all types of styles in braids. Some excellent and some that ripped my edges out.

Over the years I have come to understand my hairs grows excellent in braids. In the past what I did was simple.... Install the braids and don't worry about them for 2... Maybe 3 months. Recently.... Well the last 6 years I realized my scalp health and cleanliness effects my face. Yes.... When my hair/scalp is dirty or greasy.... My face break out like a teenager eating a grip of chocolate. My scalp must be clean and free of grease buildup in order to keep my face clear. Right..... The struggle.

This complication is what lead me on my natural hair journey. I needed to be able to wash my hair more frequently and doing so with a press was breaking my hair off. So when I decided to wear braids again.... My scalp was my main concern. How would I be able to keep my scalp happy without washing my braids?


It is never good to wash braids with synthetic hair due to the added weight placed on your hair. This causes stress on your real hair which causes breakage. I recently learned washing them will also cause breakage because your hair can't expand while in the braid.  Lets not forget what happens when they don't dry. The smell of funk and mildew is enough to make a chick rip them babies out. 

Since being natural this is the 3rd time I have installed braids. The first dance with braids I made a concoction of oils and water .... Put that loving goodness in a spray bottle and worked it on my scalp. Had no clue what I was doing but I did know my scalp felt wonderful and didn't itch. 





My second dance I did the same but I used leave in conditioner after I sprayed the oils. Excellent results. My hair grew and wasn't dry when I took the braids out.  I don't ever have breakage with my braids because I hardly ever manipulate them. I rock one style... 

 The bun. That bun is only taken down to moisturize my scalp then place back very loosely. I have found the key to growth and braids is little to no manipulation. Yea... It's boring but guess what.... I'm in this for the growth. 


Now when my hair guru Yolanda Renee Instagram a pic of her box braids... I was excited to see how she would care for them. Maybe I can learn something better. Finally she did a YouTube video of the care and moisturizing of her braids. What do you know..... She did the same thing I was doing with a little variation. She didn't wash her braids due to the same reasons I have never wash mines. I must admit I was SOOOOOOO happy to see that. Secondly she added the conditioner in the spray bottle. WHY didn't I think of that??? LOL!!!! Talk about saving a step. And thirdly she added aloe Vera in the spray bottle. So.... Ya know what I did....
Yep... Mixed me up a batch. Now I added tea tree oil and peppermint oil to mines. These make my scalp feel so yummy. Yolanda leave in conditioner was full off oil goodness. They one I already had in my spray bottle was not packed with oils plus it had oils already inside the bottle. I am not one to waste so I added black castor oil, and sesame seed oil to what was already in the bottle. Added water, aloe Vera juice and 25 drops of tea tree and bout 18-20 drops of peppermint oil. Shook that up and sprayed the hell outta my scalp. I tell you I saturated my scalp..... then gently massaged it. 

I can not explain how wonderful my scalp felt. Almost like I washed my hair and did an ACV rinse. Not only was my scalp happy but so was my face.  The addition of Aloe Vera juice took the concoction to the next step. My scalp was hella dry and grey looking. Now it is back to its normal color. I believe the peppermint and tea tree work magic on my scalp and gives it that clean and fresh feeling. Not to mention the smell. I absolutely love the smell of peppermint. I am four weeks into these braids. 4 more weeks before I take them out and do another 8 week protective style. 

If you have time, please check out Yolanda Renee on YouTube. She is the best and her techniques have never failed me. She can be found at www.youtube.com/etcblogmag.com. 

Till next time.... PEACE, LOVE AND CURLS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment