Wednesday, April 9, 2014

My Honey Child Olive You Product Review




So, I was forced to do a mid-week wash and DC due to a HORRIBLE twist out. It was hideous....we will talk about this later.

Due to these unforeseen circumstances, I finally got the chance to use the My Honey Child I received in the February Curl Collection box. First, let me explain that I was to excited to receive My Honey Child product. I have viewed their site and looked at products but didn't buy any. Not because I wasn't impressed by what I saw, I just don't like to order stuff online that I can't touch, feel, and smell immediately. And lets be honest....online returns are a pain in the ass. SO I can't express the excitement I felt when my Curl Collection box was filled with the My Honey Child Olive You line.

My Honey Child is not a big box store item therefore it must be ordered from their web page (http://www.myhoneychild.com).  My Honey Child Olive You line is a natural hair line which is free of parabens, petroleum, mineral oils, sulfates, and artificial colors. My Honey Child Olive You line is an all natural line. While I only posted the first 5 ingredients, it should be noted that this product does not have any fragrance or fragrance oils to enhance the smell.




I began this mid week wash with the My Honey Child Olive You Scalp Cleanser. I normally do not use shampoos even if they are sulfate free. Shampooing removes too much of my natural oils. However, due to the products I used (which will be on the next blog) I felt the need to, at the very least, cleanse my scalp. SO I lathered my hands but used my finger tips to massage my scalp only. I did not, well maybe I should say tried not, to allow the shampoo to be rubbed into my hair. I repeated this process twice before I rinsed.

My scalp felt clean however I was not impressed with the smell. Not at ALL!!!   I am unable tell you if Olive You Scalp Cleanser really does what the label claims because I only used the shampoo for my scalp.

Product Claim: Olive You Scalp Cleanser replenishes dry, damaged hair.  The Olive You Scalp Cleanser gently cleanses and moisturizes damaged hair to make it stronger and less prone to breakage. Moisturizes and conditions hair without weighting it down.

Ingredients:( Top Five): Pure Olive oil, vegetable castile, fresh lemon infusion, seaweed infusion, fresh lime juice.




Another disclaimer....I am a co-washing kinda chick. I love a conditioner with good slip. This is not what I got from the My Honey Child Olive You Light Conditioner. First...it was very thin and watery. I was not sure if I applied enough so I added more. Still, nothing....not the umph and feel I like when I am co-washing. Now...I know you might be thinking, "Well it is a conditioner...not a co-wash". Well, I rarely buy "co-washes". Honestly I prefer to use actual conditioner because I get my best results using conditioners.

I will not lie. I tried to co-wash twice but ended up using my staple VO5 conditioner to finish my co-wash. I was not impressed by this light conditioner at ALL. I guess because it is a light conditioner, it was watery.

Product Claim: The Olive You Light Conditioner naturally restores hair's natural beauty and overrides chemical and environmental damage. it formulated to deeply penetrate, nourish and condition dry, damaged, chemically treated hair.

Ingredients (Top Five): Purified water, olive oil, butter base, honey, gelatin






No wash day is complete without a deep conditioner. This mid-week wash day was no exception. I finished with My Honey Child Olive You Deep Conditioner. This was much thicker than the light conditioner. Not as thick or creamy as I prefer but we were headed in the right direction.

I applied the deep conditioner all over my head. Not in sections but all over ensuring each strand was saturated. While the conditioner seems thicker it was actually watery. I didn't feel much oil in the product. My hair did seem to drink it up but the lack of oil left me a little leary so I added Olive and Coconut oil.  I had no time to play mid week especially since I had work the next day. I used mild heat to help it marinate in my hair.

It rinsed out clean. My hair was not dry looking afterwards. My hair required the normal amount of detangling and I was stuck with the damn SMELL!!!!



Product Claim: Restores your hair's elasticity, resilience and crucial moisture balance. Detangles and improves combability.

Ingredients (Top Five): Distilled water, olive butter, olive fruit oil, honey


My over all first impression of the line:

I don't like to speak ill of anything but for ME, this product doesn't work. It could very well be due to my 4 type texture and the need for heavier products.  I personally did not like the smell of the product. As a side note, my son smelled the product and said it wasn't that bad considering the product is completely natural. 

Would I use it again? I may finish what I have but more than likely it will be passed to my kids or sister. This product doesn't deliver what I need but I may use it for quick wash days....and I must seriously think about that if I decide to keep it.    

Was there anything I loved about it? No. I wasn't floored by any of it.

What didn't I like? The watery consistency and the smell. 

Will this product become a staple? honestly, no. Once this is gone I don't feel the need to restock it. 





No comments:

Post a Comment